Your Marketing Style – Could It Use A Tweak?

What is YOUR Marketing Style?

In your practice

In your business

In your personal relationships?

Marketing Check SignsDo you portray a congruent set of intentions, skills, attitudes and behaviors or is something not quite right in your overall marketing style and approach?

I have become fascinated with the world of marketing, especially in the virtual world but even in the day to day, person to person, experience.  As I feverishly study this global marketing web which seems to grow more complex daily, I realize that everything we do, most of the time is exactly that – “Marketing”.  Recently my friend Dr. Elinor Robin handed me a CD created by Daniel Pink entitled: To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others.   In this powerful audio, Daniel Pink leads the listener to understand that everything most of us do is actually sales.  We are usually selling our ideas, our goals, and what we want to do right now and in the future.  We work hard to convince others to think and behave the way we want, expect and desire.

Yes, most of us have taken on the roll of selling our goods and services as well as our wants and needs and personality traits.  It was a relief to hear that extraverts are not necessarily the most successful salespeople, that ambiverts who exhibit a combination of extraverted and introverted traits are the best at sales.  And I discovered, through my intense involvement in learning about marketing thoughts, words and impressions, that whether we like it or not we are always marketing.  We are marketing our work, our knowledge, our appearance, our capacity for love, our potential for success and even our true essence as aq living, breathing human being.

I believe we are all seeking to love and be loved, but each of us approaches this desire for love in our own unique style.  Some of us show others how much we care by expressing our love in obvious words and deeds.  Some of us create the marketing impression that we do not care about love.  We attempt to hide our desperate need for love by outwardly revealing the opposite of love – anger, control, abuse, violence and even destruction of our self and others.  But if we can somehow view all of these unpleasant human negative behaviors as misguided attempts to feel worthwhile and thereby lovable because we are able to have an impact on others, even if that impact hurts and destroys them.

What Is YOUR MARKETING MESSAGE?

What is the message you promote in your practice, your business and your personal life?

• Are all of your marketing messages congruent or is something amiss, not quite matching?
    For example, do you profess to care deeply about others yet when inadvertently say something judgemental when a friend shares something personal?
  • Are you saying that your goal is to understand others but you often try to push your own opinion and agenda onto those around you rather than listening and really hearing what is being said?
  • Start immediately to observe yourself in a mirror.  Does your appearance match the message you are putting out into the world?
  • Think about your recent conversations.  Are your words helping or hindering your progress

What Are Your Goals?

Now think about your goals for your practice, your business, your relationships and other aspects of your life.   Is your goal to increase your profits (financial or emotional) and be rewarded for all the years of schooling or preparedness for your current relationships and business?

Are you feeling stuck, wondering why your colleagues or competitors appear to be doing more of what you want to do, seeing the clients and customers you want to have?

Maybe it is time to make a few tweaks and changes in the way you market yourself, your practice and your business.  Let me help you create the marketing impact you know you can have if only….  If only you understood how to market yourself…. if only you understood what others are doing that you have not yet done…. if only….

Please leave a comment below and share your thoughts and responses.

Are You Ready to Market Yourself, Your Practice or Business?

CONTACT ME

DISCOVER THE STEPS YOU CAN TAKE NOW
TO CREATE THE SUCCESS YOU DESIRE

BUILD YOUR ONLINE PRESENCE

Please leave a comment below and share your thoughts and responses.

🙂 😳 😛 😆

LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE

FACEBOOK PAGE

APPLY TO JOIN THE THERAPIST FACEBOOK GROUPFACEBOOK GROUP

APPLY TO JOIN THE COACHING FACEBOOK GROUP Marketing Our Coaching Practices Facebook Group

YOU ARE THE ONE YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR

Becoming a successful therapist, a popular coach, a wealthy entrepreneur, a beloved parent or a happily married spouse in a long term marriage requires taking the long and sometimes very difficult road to self-understanding, self-awareness, self-appreciation, self-change and self-love. YOU are the only one who exists who can catapult your life into the dream life you imagine. YOU are the actor, director and all the characters in your own life show. YOU are your own ideal client, ideal business associate, ideal parent, and ideal intimate partner.

My Love Me, Touch Me, Heal Me Book Love Me Touch Me Heal Me Book provides you with a detailed road map for your life. The complete book and all the separate smaller books are filled with stories, research, visualizations, healing methods, guided imagery, meditations, physical exercises, writing exercises and journaling that enable you to take a complete internal journey to discovering your own value and magnificence in this world.

My Healing Through Love Seminar Series Healing Through Love Seminar Seriesis a set of audios that guide you into exploring your relationship to yourself, to others, to your past and to your desired future. It includes some powerful guided imagery in the Q&A sessions.

My Love Touch Heal Relationship System Love Touch Heal Relationship System includes a set of videos which explain how to finally love yourself, explore and enjoy the healing potential of touch, discover your own healing process, and open up to your own sensual awareness. Then we explore that subject that so many of us tend to avoid when it is personal, our sexuality, and finally our sense of our own spiritual being.

COMING SOON

30 DAY LOVE CHALLENGE

A Transformational 30 Day Course All About Creating Love

DISCOVER THE STEPS YOU CAN TAKE NOW
TO CREATE THE SUCCESS YOU DESIRE

BUILD YOUR ONLINE PRESENCE.

Please leave a comment below and share your thoughts and responses.

LET’S WORK TOGETHER
TO HEAL THE WORLD

CONTACT ME

Dr. Erica Goodstone

P.S. Check out my special Media Authority Packages. This may be the boost you have been looking for to jump start your practice or business building success.

drerica

drerica

Dr. Erica Goodstone is a Spiritual Relationship Healing Expert helping men and women heal their bodies and their relationships through love.For several years she has posted hundreds of articles, blogs, radio shows, videos and shared there on all the major social media channles.Having presented her comprehensive relationship healing programs throughout the U.S. and Canada over several decades, she has helped literally 1000's of men and women to heal through learning how to love.Online she continues to expand her message globally.Dr. Erica believes "Where There is Love There IS a Way".When you love, accept, listen and pay attention to your body, trust your own sense of what you truly desire,and strive to understand, appreciate and really know the other people in your life, anything and everything is possible.As therapists, none of us can do it all alone.We can work together to create a healthier, happier world.
drerica

27 thoughts on “Your Marketing Style – Could It Use A Tweak?

1. Mark

What a truly awesome post Dr.Erica!

And on so many levels! I really like where you shared how our marketing message may not be congruent with the words that actually come out of our mouth! Ouch!LOL!

And that CD by Daniel Pink sounds extremely fascinating as well! Maybe (at some point) you can do a review/ overview of it! I’m sure that would be very educational and fun.

And you are so spot on about how we all tend to try and sell our current point of view and or would like others to sign on to our way of viewing things.

This often becomes readily apparent around the Thanksgiving table!LOL! When every expert opinion shall be heard, like it or not!LOL!

What an extremely well written article (as usual), and filled tons of practical nuggets! Thanks!

1. drerica Post author

Mark,

Thanks. Great suggestion to do a review of Daniel Pink’s audio. I don’t usually think of doing that so I find something so valuable and don’t always share it. I love Daniel Pink’s work. He researches a topic (the previous book was all about motivation in business) and then he puts his own twist on it.

2. Donna Merrill

Hi Dr. Erica,

Love the way you have composed this article. Indeed, we are always marketing in one way or another.

What I find most helpful are the questions you raised for us to think about. What is the message we promote in our practice, business, and personal life. It has to be congruent. We need to know ourselves and be honest with ourselves when marketing. We have to genuinely care about other people and want the best for them no matter what business we are in.

We have to have a good ear to listen to others and meet their wants and needs. And never push our own agenda on them. We can provide the tools and techniques to help people, but it must be done on their terms, not ours.

-Donna

1. drerica Post author

Donna,

I love what you are saying especially the point that we should “never push our own agenda” on others. I have shied away from local networking events for that very reason. It feels as if I am being bombarded by other people’s agendas. They try to push their product or service upon me before asking anything about me and what I have already done so that they would know if I am even interested.

We CAN provide tools and services if and when the other person expresses a need and a current interest.

1. Donna Merrill

Hi Again!

I know about creating that “shield away fro local networking events. I find it online also, and when someone puts me in a position of trying to impose their product on me, I do tell them in a nice way not at this time.

But sometimes they get difficult and insist…then I’m in a position to be firm. It is just part of it all and although I create boundaries, sometimes it is just plain annoying.

I rather deal with my list because they have given me permission to email them. Not that I over do it, but if there is a good thing I want to share, I do like to share it.

-Donna

1. Dr. Erica Goodstone

Donna,

It is a whole different thing to share your current products or services or opportunities to your list or lists that have given permission for you to send emails. And even then, people sometimes get annoyed because they forget that they had opted in at some point. There is a real etiquette to internet marketing that it is valuable to learn and use wisely.

3. Erika Mohssen-Beyk

Very good article to think about Dr.Erica
    This CD seems to be interesting and yes if we think
    we see we are selling,I never thought this way about.
    Good to get aware of this. There are people who
    overdo it with selling and we all are not very happy
    with this. Good questions you asked here.
    Will share this article .
    Erika

1. drerica Post author

Erika,

I have been reluctant to attend some local networking events because for the next few days and weeks I get inundated with emails (having been placed into emails lists I did not opt into). This week, not only did I receive an email and a phone call, I also received a text advertisement popup on my cell phone. That was enough for me. I contacted the person and asked to be removed from her list. That is not networking. That is bombarding someone with YOU and your offer, without taking the time to build any sort of viable relationship.

4. Heather

I absolutely love the post; however, it is slightly hard to read with the share buttons. I am not sure if it is my computer resolution or what, but it blocks out the words.

1. drerica Post author

Heather,

That has happened to me on other people’s posts so I am not sure what happened. Did you make it a full screen and still have that problem?

5. Chery Schmidt

Hello Dr.Erica, I love this message, there are way to many pushy sales people in this business, Sorry to say but I used to be one myself. OPPS?

I did have to learn the hard way.. BUT I have learned and now I share my story and guess what it works a whole lot better too.. I do believe I am on the right track with a caring heart ❤

Thanks for sharing my friend..
    Chery :))

1. drerica Post author

Chery,

We have all done that because we are encouraged to “share” and promote our offerings. But I have discovered that I back away when I feel someone coming at me. A subtle approach and a show of real interest in me makes a huge difference. There may be nothing you can do to sell me on a given product so why push it at me. Instead, develop a rapport and show interest. The right people will eagerly ask more questions and come to you for more informaiton.

6. Nile

I like to think I do a bit of both introverted and extroverted in my style. It kind of ties into my support of the Open Source Project because while people know my services, I also give back too. While I’m passionate about what I do, I’d not like to make someone angry because I was pushy. To me, pushiness is somewhat of an indicator of being desperate.

1. drerica Post author

Nile,

When you are good at something and you offer value, other people notice and reach out for your services. There is no need to try to push sales onto someone who does not want or need your services. There are plenty of people who do and they will seek you out when they are ready. I know from first hand experience that when I needed help, I knew I could trust your work after having read your blog posts for so many years.

7. Kyle Nelson

When i am selling or marketing i try to be as personal as possible, find a common ground to relate to the person but do it in a non-sealant way. Selling and marketing is definetly something (i personally believe) no one can master but you can become really good at it!

1. drerica Post author

Kyle,

I have heard it said that if you have something valuable to offer that other people need because they are struggling and suffering and don’t know what you know, then it becomes your responsibility and duty to share it with them, to sell it to them, and to show them how and why they might benefit from it.

8. Monna Ellithorpe

Hi Erica,

I really enjoyed reading your post and learning about marketing from a little different perspective. You are right, in some way or another we are all “marketing” at some time or another.

I sure wish I had paid attention to the business and marketing classes in high school. But I have decided I like the teachers I have now a lot more.

9. Jyoti Chauhan

Hi Erica,

What an Excellent Post! Yes, Off course our marketing style matter lots how we are doing or we just want to market or we care our audience also. You are absolutely right at selling our goods, services and ideas.

We all are selling something in different ways what is working for us.

It was my first visit to your blog, I enjoyed reading.

Regards,
    Jyoti

10. Monisha Kapur

Hi Dr. Erica,

Great post!! You are so right- no matter whether it’s business or personal we are always marketing ourselves. It’s so important to always send the right message.

Thanks for sharing this insightful post!
    Best
    Monisha

1. drerica Post author

Monisha,

When I first moved to Florida I didn’t realize that we are always marketing ourselves. I showed up for a meeting in bermuda shorts in the summer. Never did that again because the reception was less than desired. I learned a quick lesson.

11. Jacs Henderson

I certainly resonated with your idea that the way we conduct our Marketing is a reflection of ourselves. So there is no surprise to know that self development and successful marketing often go hand in hand!

Life and marketing are inter-linked as you say everyday… but when it comes to business marketing there are often skills needing to be learnt, enhanced or constrained depending on our personalities.

Our marketing message and our goals do need to be carefully thought through. and I love your lists of thoughts above for guidance.

Like Love… Marketing is about Attraction… so should be treated with care and attention 🙂

Fab post Dr Erica 🙂

~Jacs

1. drerica Post author

Jacs,

Each of us has a different personality style so what works best for me may not work at all for you. Our personalities are different so why would we think that our marketing styles would be the same. Each of us needs to become clear about who we are, what we offer and how we plan to share that with others.

12. Andrea Ansari

Great post Donna and great reminder, what is your marketing style and what is your message is SO important is today’s complex marketing world. If you’re not defined, you won’t be remembered…

1. drerica Post author

Andrea,

It is so important to know what marketing style suits my personality. So I cannot compare myself to others and sometimes their tactics just do not work for me and my style. And when I cam clear about my marketing message and do it in the way that is authentic for me, sales become easy and relationships are built.

13. newsunshine

1. drerica Post author

Gautam,

Marketing is one of the most important business skills we can develop.
      When done well, we engage the right people for our product or service.
      When done incorrectly, we can fail to reach the people that will benefit most.